Skin Care Faves
As many of you may know, I've been transitioning into a Holistic Health Journey and thus far there have been a few trying times in sticking with it. But, when it came down to skin care, I never felt any better for making the switch!
As you continue to explore new products you come to find that there are many different options that can either work really well or break the hell out of your skin. And for that reason, I've put together a short list of new and updated skin care products that have worked really well for me!
So, first things first. Feel free to check out my Skin Care Video on my YouTube channel, which includes the products I've been previously using. (You never know, those products may work better for you, than my newly used products).
So, let's hop right into the specifics :)
- Facial Cleanser: Dr. Bronner's Baby Unscented Castile Soap MIXED with Sweet Almond oil.
I've chosen to mix Sweet Almond Oil to the Castile Soap. After about 3 weeks of using pure Castile soap I've been experiencing dry and itchy patches on both my shoulders and my calves immediately after my shower.
I took the time out to research what kinds of products can I add to Castile Soap without taking away it's deep cleansing properties. I've learned that many people created their own DIY solutions with many different kinds of oils. I came across Francheska of 'Heyfranhey.com' who has been the woman to inspire and encourage me to take on this holistic health journey. Sweet almond oil is her go to oil for both skin and body, and after replicating a few of her all natural DIYs that actually worked for me, I figured why not give this oil a shot.
Benefits of Sweet Almond Oil:
- Mild and hypoallergenic oil - This was PLUS for me because this meant that there would be a lower possibility of my skin breaking out.
- Non-Greasy - As someone with combination skin, choosing a non-greasy oil works perfect for combating my oil areas and keeping my face from looking like an oil bath.
- Protects skin from UV radiation - As a woman of color, I often times think because of my melanin I won't get sunburn or my skin cells won't get damaged. WRONG boo. We too as people color can receive sun damage to our skin.
- Vitamin A - Vitamin A is what helps reduce pigmentation and our skin from experiencing acne breakouts as it decreases levels of sebum production (sebum being the natural oils that our skin produces). You may ask why would I want to decrease those levels? Well, as stated before I do have combination skin, therefore, my skin would produce less oil in those oily areas, making my skin more even all over. Vitamin A also exfoliates the skin to aid in an even skin tone.
- Relieves Eczema and Psoriasis - Although I do not have eczema, developing dry and itchy patches on my skin was alarming enough so I knew that Sweet Almond Oil would come through for the win on helping repair my dry ole skin. Because Almond oil is hypoallergenic, this helped reduced the amount of itching I've experienced.
2. Jojoba Oil
The lightest of all oils and will keep your skin glowing! A little goes a long way.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil
- Non-greasy/Super lightweight - Jojoba Oil is one of the only oils that mirrors the natural oils (sebum) that our skin produces.
- Helps control oily skin
- Aids in acne control - The reason we develop acne is because of the increase in production of sebum on our skin. Through using an oil so lightweight and moisturizing it can help combat acne.
3. RAW Organic Honey
Raw Honey has been so good to my skin! First, let's talk about application. To start, I apply about quarter-size amount on my skin while in the shower and I leave it on until after my shower to start my skin care routine.
It's important to apply the Raw Honey in the shower to allow the steam in the shower open up your pores and deeply penetrate into the skin, creating better results.
Benefits of Raw Honey:
- Helps lighten dark circles - And what do ya know, raw honey ad sweet almond make the perfect duo as an under eye cream to put on under your eyes overnight (Just apply a small amount).
- Softens the skin - As an humectant, raw honey will leave your skin feeling beyond smooth and soft.
- Great moisturizer - Any facial mask that I've created, I always added honey to it to replenish my skin with moisture and leave m skin feeling soft afterwards.
- Help fade scars - Just as it helps lighten dark circles, it will help with scarring.
- Great lip scrub - When I apply the honey on my face in the shower, I also make sure to add it to my lips and it removes dead skin on my lips from the night before. Also leaves my lips feeling as soft as my face.
4. Raw and Unrefined Shea Butter
I've always had Shea butter in my skin care routine, however it wasn't until about a month ago that I switched over to raw and unrefined Shea butter and I definitely did notice a difference. Many of the products we use claim to be 'natural' on the product label, but 9 times out of 10 they have gone through some type of chemical or heating process, which then takes away all of the valuable nutrients within the products.
Benefits of Raw/Unrefined Shea Butter
- Contains Vitamins A & E
- Great for moisturizing and nourishing - Shea butter better come thru. Shea butter helps with chapped lips, soften dry areas on our skin, and provides a great finishing shine on the skin.
- Anti-aging & Anti-Inflammatory Properties
So .. Glow on the natural way.🌸
You won't regret it!
Written By: Amani Richardson